Those who work in bookkeeping maintain the financial records of a business. Their primary job is to complete the basic accounting tasks that are necessary to keep the financial journal and general ledger of a business up-to-date. Even though a bookkeeper does many of the tasks that an accountant would do, the job is basically entry-level and the educational requirements are lower. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) tags the bookkeeper as making a median salary of $34,030 per year and can expect a 14% job growth rate through 2020 which is about as fast as average.
It is vitally important to be informed!
Be sure to request information from more than one school in order to compare which program is best for you.
Popular Schools — Or Choose A State —>
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
- BA/Sports and Recreation Management - Finance
- And more...
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business - Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- And more...
- Want to earn a bachelor's or master's degree in the high-demand business field?
- The Colangelo College of Business educates and develops values-driven business leaders.
- Finance, Accounting, Business Admin/Mgmt, Leadership, Sports Business, Public Administration & Marketing.
- Grand Canyon University offers these highly valued degree emphases and more! Learn about our Colangelo College of Business.
- Courses available online, on campus in Phoenix, or in other satellite locations throughout Arizona. Talk to us to learn about financial aid, start dates & more!
- B.S. in Accounting
- M.S. in Accounting
- M.B.A.: Accounting
- And more...
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Accounting - Bachelor
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Accounting - Managerial Accountancy
- BS in Accounting - Public Accountancy
- MS in Accounting - Finance Specialization
- And more...
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) recently received state approval to enroll students with little to no prior college experience. To help ensure student success, the university has created a program especially for these students who plan on starting their college experience for the first time with us.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- Master - Professional Accounting
- BS - Accounting
- Master - Finance
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Accountancy with a concentration in General Accounting
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Accounting
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Business with a Concentration in Accounting
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in Business-Concentration in Accounting Administration
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associates in Business Management - Accounting
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting : Public Accountancy
- Master of Science : Accounting - Finance Specialization
- Bachelor of Science: Accounting
- And more...
Bookkeepers no longer use bound paper journals and general ledgers to do their jobs. Today, they use sophisticated software packages to post the daily financial transactions of a business. They use the double entry method of recording transactions where there is a balanced debit and credit for each. They also adhere to generally accepted accounting principles or GAAP as it is known in the accounting profession.
They take the day’s receipts and payments and enter them into software programs (or spreadsheets) so that the transactions can be posted to the general ledger. Large businesses have nightly posting computer runs and the next day the bookkeeper checks that everything ties down and balances.
Those who work in bookkeeping check reports each day and work to resolve discrepancies. At the end of the month, they prepare reports to upper level management that indicate the financial health of the company. These reports go by names such as cost of goods sold and income statements.
A person can enter the bookkeeping field with only a high school diploma. However, employers would like to hire someone with some basic education in accounting. Once employed, bookkeepers gain experience on-the-job. They can continue their education and get a bachelor’s degree in accounting which will open more doors to them. There is also a certification program available through the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers and requires two years of experience before sitting for the exam.
Bookkeepers work for businesses that don’t outsource their accounting services. They work in an office environment during normal business hours but may incur overtime during end-of-month/end-of-year reporting cycles and at tax season.
Working as a bookkeeper gives the on-the-job experience necessary to move up to the accountant level. It gives you the chance to test the waters and see if this is the career for you. If you believe it is the career for you then check out the educational opportunities available and get enrolled today.
 Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition, Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/office-and-administrative-support/bookkeeping-accounting-and-auditing-clerks.htm (visited June 07, 2013).
Image Source: BLS.gov